So, the New Hampshire State Legislature has put forth bills that would, in effect, cripple the ability of Youth to vote in the towns where they are attending college (Hiya, guys, have you ever tried to vote absentee in a small college town where no one is from the state you are? It's a bitch, I tell ya). Speaker William O'Brien believes this is justifiable because the youth are young. And young people lack life experience. And lacking life experience makes us foolish. And our foolish ways make us vote liberal because that's what all the other young people are doing.
Democrats, voting rights groups and young people (even the rare young republican) were not amused.
O'Brien has since clarified. His problem with the New Hampshire voting law is not that young people are foolish, it is that they are part of a mass liberal conspiracy of election fraud. Allowing them to vote in their college towns potentially allows them two votes! One in town and one absentee! And O'Brien is willing to fight the good fight to ensure one man (one assumes he left the 'white, landholding' out by mistake), one vote principle is upheld. No matter what the cost!
Speaker O'Brien, I am confused. Am I a foolish youth who stupidly votes liberal because all the other kids are doing it and I lack the life experience to know any better? Or am I a brilliant fiend who is managing to commit mass voter fraud with enough life experience not to get caught despite all your attempt to sniff me out and am voting liberal simply for the joy of seeing the republican party destroyed? I don't think I can be both.
1 comment:
Agh, I love you.
Vennela
Post a Comment